Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Open Your Eyes


Most of us don’t like to admit this, but we are all living under layers and layers of lies. Maybe it’s not that we don’t want to admit it. Maybe we don’t even realize it. But lies can even be so common that we color them with semantics and justifications.

“It was just a little white lie.”

“He only lied to protect someone.”

“It’s not going to do any real harm.”

We may pad a resume, drop names of people we barely know, or claim accomplishments we never actually fulfilled.

But who are we fooling? God is taking account of everything we do. He knows every thought, every word and every action. And it is his Holy Spirit within us that peels back the layers of lies and reveals to us the truth. And it is only in truth that we can freely live.

"Oh Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord." Psalm 139:1-4

When ugly issues are revealed in our heart, we should not justify ourselves by hiding them under layers of lies. Instead, shine the light of God’s truth on the issue and eliminate it. Make it right by exposing the situation and asking God for forgiveness. Remember, he already knows what has been done. And he will give you the courage and words to say to set the record straight.

How much different would our lives look if we were to open our eyes to the truth of God's Word?

No comments: