Monday, December 8, 2008

Looking in!



Who Will You See Today?

If you’re like me, each and every day, countless numbers of people come in and out of your sight-path. I see lots of people. But today, stop and ask yourself this question: What do you see when you really see the people around you?

Do you see a husband who’s lost his wife to cancer, or a man deep in the throes of shame over an affair?

Do you see a young single mother struggling to raise her child on restaurant wages? Do you see that executive worried that his name will be the last one mentioned in the next round of lay-offs?

Here’s one of the amazing things about Jesus. When Jesus saw people, he saw into them. He didn’t stop at the outward, he looked into their eyes. And while you aren’t Jesus and neither am I, you’d be amazed at what you can tell about a person if you look into their eyes, their facial expression. You can see people who are hurting, or wounded; who are tired and troubled on the inside. And today maybe it’s your turn to go just beyond what you see, down deep into what you really see – the hurt, or the pain. Maybe you’re the person to give a word of kindness and encouragement to lift that person up.

I am a Christian and as a follower of Jesus, I am interested in this worldwide movement to turn the entire world into Jesus followers. But really, let’s be honest. God can do all that without us. He was doing fine before we got here, and He’ll be doing great when we’re gone.

The question is this: What am I supposed to be doing today that only I can do? Answer? Be in the moment and truly see into the hearts of those around you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are saying. Some of my greatest moments of joy come in a moment in the checkout line at the store or sitting in a doctors waiting room or anywhere that God takes me that I can let His light shine through me to another person. A kind word, a thank you, opening a door for someone and looking into their eyes and giving them a smile, lifts them up and in the process God works in my heart. True gifts of the spirit are missing in today world and when those gifts reach out and touch others and us it truly can make for a brighter day for me and them.

The Pointe said...

Thanks Linda for the response. You are wise beyond your years.

Have you noticed that when you hold your hand out to shake someones hand, they typically respond with their hand?

Also, have you noticed in the Bible where it states that "if I need a friend, I should be friendly"?

Also, have you noticed the Bible states that we get what we give ("...reap what you sow...")?

All of this points to that fact that.....I must begin to do and be for others what is LACKING in my own life - and it starts by 'Looking in!'

Thanks again for your post!