Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Picture Grace

I was recently talking with a couple about the incredible Grace of God. We live in a world that cries for justice and fairness. So it makes it so hard for us to understand and embrace God's grace. There is nothing we can do that will make God love us more... and there's nothing we can do to make God love us less. That statement came in an answer to the question... "How can I be sure that God is not going to send me to Hell when my time comes?" That simple answer is... "God doesn't send you to hell... you choose to go there on your own."

It opened this couple's eyes... that what motivates us to worship, serve, give, pray, and invite others into this relationship is not guilt... or fear... but love. God loves us so much that He has already paid the price for our sins that result in our choice of eternal destination. That love simply amazes me! That Grace overwhelms me!

I don't deserve what God has done, is doing, and will do in my life. Every Sunday that I step onto that stage... step before our church family... talk with our leadership... meet with our staff... embrace someone who is unconvinced of the claims of Jesus... I am humbled by God's grace that is directing my life. I don't deserve it!

And in spite of my "difficulties" in life... my "hardships"... my "troubles"... I don't question if God is blessing me or not... (Heaven is not here on earth...) my question is... "With God... how can I learn and grow from my difficulty, my hardship, my trouble?"

As I look at my life... with all it's celebrations and crushes... joys and jabs... successes and sorrows... God's grace still amazes me and the picture becomes clearer with each passing hardship!

Can you picture grace? What does it look like to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The amazing grace of God is sometimes very difficult to understand and accept. We sometimes think that we have done to much in the past for God's grace to apply to us. I know I did and struggled with it for years. That is until I read a book titled "Coming to Faith" by Bob Libby. In this book the author defines grace in three words: Forgiveness, Thanksgiving, Faith.

Forgiveness - Is God's grace that allows is to cut loose from the sins or hurts of the past and a way of living in an imperfect world.

Thanksgiving - Liberates us from the successes of the past and enables us to identify and appreciate God's grace in the present.

Faith - Is the thrudt that God's grace will be there for us in the future and it will be sufficient for us, no matter what.

I pray that those who read your blog can prayerfully consider this and realize how truely amazing God's grace is and it is for all of us not a select few.

The Pointe said...

Thank you so much for your post jlsorb! You make a viable point. Grace is sometimes the most difficult thing for us to understand and apply when in turmoil about life issues. I am reminded of the Apostle Paul when he prayed three times for God to come to his aid about a thorn in his flesh.

God revealed His grace to Paul through the His Word ~ which is the Word of God. That is how Grace is still revealed ~ through His Word!